An online safety agreement is a collaborative way for youth and adults to define internet and device use, screen time, limits, and expectations. When you've created such a contract together, both parties have a clear understanding of what the expectations are and what can happen when those expectations are not met.
You can download the Online Safety and Technology Use Agreement as a .pdf file or use this .doc file version and change it suit your needs. This agreement serves as a guideline when it comes technology, social media, the internet, and online gaming, as well as online etiquette and good online practices for adults and youth.
Agreements for youth and adults
- We will have respectful conversations about online activity, what we share, and why.
- We will use social media, the internet, and technology respectfully.
- We will treat others online and in real life respectfully.
- We will think before posting a comment, photo, or a video. If I am not sure it is OK, I will not post.
- We will respect agreed upon times for technology use and respect agreed upon limits.
- We will not access content or use apps, sites and games that are we have agreed are inappropriate.
- As a youth, I will inform a trusted adult if I see questionable content. As an adult, I will have a respectful conversation if I see my youth posting questionable content.
- As a youth, I will be careful about what I share about myself and others. As an adult, I will be careful about what I share about myself, youth in my care, and others.
- As a youth, I will get consent before posting pictures of others. As an adult, I will get consent before posting pictures of others, including youth in my care.
- We will keep our passwords safe, and use security and privacy settings.
- We will have fun online, explore safely, and be good digital citizens.